Monday, November 15, 2010

Baby Food!

I decided when I was pregnant that I wanted to make my own baby food for several reasons; its healthier, its cheaper, and its fun.  You can pick and choose what you want to make for your baby and know exactly what is going into their precious bodies.  Its SUPER easy and if you make the food in large batches in can go for weeks at a time before you need to make another batch.  I started making baby food for Bella when she was 5.5 months old, starting with peas (which were a huge epic fail) and then onto sweet potatoes, squash, bananas, apples, and peaches.  You can mix the veggies and fruits in any mixer or food processor.  It really doesn't matter.  The magic bullet is another popular tool to mix the food, however it makes smaller batches which for me as a working mom doesn't suffice.  My food mixer is a basic mixer from Target with options to blend and puree which is all you need.  Once you have made the baby food and frozen it, all you need to do is pop a cube or two out and heat it in the microwave for about 30 seconds in a glass or bpa free bowl.  :)

Tools

There are a few basic tools you will need to make your own baby food, which I have included below:

1. A food processor or mixer of some sort. 
-The price for these range and you can check out the prices on Target or Walmarts website.



2. Ice cube trays. 
-This is what you will place the mixed baby food in once you are done making it.



3.  Saran wrap. 
- You will cover the ice trays with saran wrap and place in the freezer to freeze.

4.  Ziploc bags with labels.
-This is what you will use to hold the baby food after its frozen.  Just pop out of the ice cube trays, label what the food is and the date with a permanent marker.

5.  Mixing bowl.
-This is what I use to pour the mixed food into once I have processed the food.  Its easier to spoon into the ice cube trays as opposed to directly from the mixer because of the blade.

6. Itty bitty Tupperware bowls.
-I bought GLAD Tupperware that is BPA free.  I pop one or two cubes from the freezer into this and place them in the fridge before I heat it to feed Bella.  Its a little bigger than a baby food jar but small enough to put in your diaper bag or ice pack if you need to travel.


2 comments:

  1. I'm sure you know this but you can also just pop a few cubes in the microwave for about 45 seconds instead of waiting for them to thaw out. I just started making baby food and have gotten addicted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did mean to add this to the thread, I do this too. Thanks for the input!!

    ReplyDelete